Salmon is a nutritionally dense superfood that tastes amazing whether baked, grilled or poached and works with many flavors. In this super healthy dish the tropical fruit salsa pairs extremely well with the tender balsamic-infused salmon.
Salmon supports overall health and only one serving provides nearly 100% of the recommended daily values of omega-3 fatty acids, protein and vitamin D. Additionally, salmon has very low levels of mercury and is safer to consume than most other fish.
The summery and colorful mango and kiwi salsa not only adds freshness and flavor, but also increases the health benefits of the dish. It is also great with other types of fish and grilled chicken.
Kiwis offer a long list of health-boosting and disease-preventing nutrients, with the most important being fiber, vitamins C. E and K, folate and potassium – and with one kiwi having less than 50 calories, they are an excellent compliment to a healthy diet.
The juicy mangoes are also low in calories, regulate blood sugar and improve memory. They contain dietary fiber, vitamins A and B6, folic acid, many important minerals and have been part of the human diet for thousands of years.
Balsamic-Glazed Salmon with Mango Kiwi Salsa
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
2 ½ tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 salmon fillets (about 6-ounce each)
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1cup kiwi, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeño chilli, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 ̊ F.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil, mustard, garlic, balsamic vinegar, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet and add salmon. Sear for 2 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Brush salmon with half of the glaze and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, brushing with the rest of the glaze after 5 minutes or until the glaze begins to caramelize and salmon is fork-tender.
- In a bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients and season to taste.
- Top salmon with the salsa and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving (400g):
| calories 424 | total carbs 21g | protein 43g | total fat 18g | cholesterol 109mg |sodium 801mg |
More Like This...
Subscribe to WOD Planet (free) and never miss a post!